Speech
Ahmad al-Sharaa  ·  2026-08-18 00:00

FIFA executive Lamour leaves after criticising Infantino proposal

Zurich, Aug. 17 (SANA)FIFA Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour left the organisation Monday, weeks after publicly criticising President Gianni Infantino’s proposal to sell a stake in the commercial rights to the World Cup and other tournaments.

FIFA confirmed that its working relationship with Lamour ended on Aug. 17 but did not disclose the reason for his departure. The organisation thanked him for his service and said it would make no further comment.

Lamour joined FIFA’s senior leadership team in November 2024 after previously supporting Infantino’s successful 2016 presidential campaign.

In July, Lamour said FIFA employees had been misled about a plan to establish a $20 billion commercial subsidiary and sell a stake of up to 20% to private-equity investors, potentially raising $4.2 billion. He described the proposal as serving one person’s interests rather than football.

His criticism followed the resignation of Infantino adviser Carlos Cordeiro, who called the proposal “a bad deal for football.” Infantino withdrew the plan later that day.

The controversy has increased uncertainty over Infantino’s bid for a fourth term as FIFA president in March 2027. UEFA, the Asian Football Confederation and CONCACAF reportedly oppose his candidacy, while the African and South American confederations continue to support him.

port and human rights organisation FairSquare said it had asked FIFA’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to rule Infantino ineligible, arguing that the organisation’s three-term limit should prevent him from standing again.

Infantino maintains that his initial period in office from 2016 to 2019 does not count because he was completing the interrupted mandate of former president Sepp Blatter. He was subsequently elected unopposed in 2019 and 2023.